IIII forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IIII forum

A Minions of Mirth's guild

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

In Character or Out of Character?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Herleva
Admin
Herleva

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2006-12-25

In Character or Out of Character? Empty
PostSubject: In Character or Out of Character?   In Character or Out of Character? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 4:32 am

Since there is no common sense about what ic or ooc is we can use this thread for
discussions.

wikipedia: ic and ooc

Questions could be if the public channels of mom are ic or ooc?
Which words are ic and which are completely ooc?

We don't have to create a roleplay bible here but find a consense about our considerations.

Mixing both ic and ooc leads to confusion, misunderstanding and argument, so i see it
necessary to tell them apart.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cunundra

Cunundra

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: In Character or Out of Character?   In Character or Out of Character? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 1:59 am

I think this is a very important topic.

IC and OOC should be defined and should be part of the MoM Lexicon.

~Cunundra
Back to top Go down
Draknir

Draknir

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-04-08

PostSubject: Re: In Character or Out of Character?   In Character or Out of Character? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 5:08 am

It seems, to me, that Wiki is considering IC as everything that concerns the game in any way, but I don't entirely agree; I think that IC is when you're acting like what you say come out of your character's mouth. I don't think something like "I'm gonna change to <insert alt's name> for a sec, but after that I can plevel you" is IC.

It happens that I suddenly change from OOC to IC and the other way around in game, but to say "[OOC]" or "[IC]" before every sentence when appropriate, is an exaggeration, and there must be a better solution than that. How about the availability of an italics button for IC?

Draknir
Back to top Go down
Herleva
Admin
Herleva

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: In Character or Out of Character?   In Character or Out of Character? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 5:34 am

In my experience typing ooc messages in brackets works fine, with that i mean the whole
sentence.
Example given "/s [be right back, the dog needs a walk]"

Everything without brackets in this channel would be ic.
Back to top Go down
Draknir

Draknir

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-04-08

PostSubject: Re: In Character or Out of Character?   In Character or Out of Character? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 5:46 am

Yes, that seems like a simple and effective solution, but as of yet I haven't seen anyone do that. I'll start doing that though.

Draknir
Back to top Go down
Cunundra

Cunundra

PostSubject: Re: In Character or Out of Character?   In Character or Out of Character? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2007 6:43 pm

I like the bracket idea too.

Usually, I change to ooc in a /tell.

Getting everyone in game to agree to a global practice will be the challenge.

~Cunundra
Back to top Go down
Narita
Admin
Narita

Number of posts : 38

PostSubject: Re: In Character or Out of Character?   In Character or Out of Character? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 10:39 am

I don't believe to be in character in global chat is useful. This is a very hostile environment for that: no specified place, people shouting mindless comments, we have very few contact with the people we talk too, etc.
Back to top Go down
Cunundra

Cunundra

PostSubject: Re: In Character or Out of Character?   In Character or Out of Character? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am

Hey, Narita :-)

Just wanted to clarify... I was not talking about the global chat channel...

I was saying that it will be difficult to get the MoM (global) community to agree to the same (whatevr that might be) practice.

~Cunundra
Back to top Go down
Narita
Admin
Narita

Number of posts : 38

PostSubject: Re: In Character or Out of Character?   In Character or Out of Character? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 11:44 am

I know, but Herleva asked this question on the original post. I was replying to this. Sorry Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In Character or Out of Character?   In Character or Out of Character? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In Character or Out of Character?
Page 1 of 1